For V Rising players who have encountered in-game crash and crash at startup issues. Some are also facing Failed to initialize steamworks or steamInitializationFailed error. The following are the fixes and workarounds for these errors.
Using third-party software in the background like MSI Afterburner, any RGB Software, or more can cause the game to crash. Disable any such tool you are using in the background and the issue will be fixed. Also, using in-game overlays like Steam in-game overlay or GeForce Experience overlay can also cause in-game crashes. Disable them as well to fix the issue.
Your GPU is also a possibility why V Rising is crashing. Given the game is in Early Access, at the time of writing, optimization work isn’t complete and V Rising could be putting a lot of load on your GPU and causing the in-game crash.
Try lowering graphics settings to fix the issue. If that doesn’t work, try limiting the game’s max FPS. Open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > select V Rising. Scroll down and enable Max FPS Limit and set a value for it. As a general rule, cap the game to 30 FPS if your current target is 60 FPS. If your current target is unlocked FPS, cap the game to 60 FPS. Doing this reduces the CPU and GPU load and will fix the V Rising in-game crash.
Game Not Starting, Crash At Startup Fix
One user has reported that completing the following steps fixes the crash at startup issue with the game.
- Delete the game
- Go to the Steam folder and navigate to steam library\steamapps\common and delete VRising folder
- Navigate to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp and delete the VRising folder
- Navigate to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\LocalLow and delete Stunlock Studios folder
- Restart your PC and install the game again.
Your anti-virus is another possibility behind the game not starting or crash at launch issue. The anti-virus could be blocking the game executable and causing the crash. Either disable real-time protection or exclude the game folder from it, I recommend the latter. After that, verify game files in Steam and V Rising will launch without any problems.
- V Rising How to Create a Dedicated Server
- V Rising How to Modify Private Game Multiplayer Server Settings
- V Rising How to Edit your Private Server Settings Correctly
- V Rising How to Migrate a Private Game Save to a Dedicated Server
- V Rising Interactive Map Guide