For Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality players, this is a guide of complete walkthrough of the game with as many item locations documented as I know how to find!
Controls and General
Here are the mechanics to use throughout the game:
w,s,a,d – Movement
move mouse – Rotate camera
left click – interact/pick up/place/confirm throw
right click – use/throw held item/sonic
shift – press once while moving to start running. Running will stop when you stop moving.
tab – open Journal of Impossible Facts
esc – menu
control – crouch slightly
esc – pause menu
f – examine held object
r – exit sub menu
1a: The Launderette and Office
In front of you will be a fuse box, with a fuse on the table right below it. Click on it to pick it up, and click on the fusebox to replace it when the green outline appears. Then, flip the breaker switch to turn on the lights.With the lights on, you will need to find the safe code.
- The first two digits are on the back of the photo frame of the man on the desk: 14
- The second two digits are on the back of the notepad inside the top draw of the filing cabinet to the right of the desk: 83
Now, enter the numbers into the safe: 1483 and retrieve the sonic screwdriver from within! Then, you’re able to sonic the back door with right-click to escape the launderette!
1b: Dalek Invaded London
Walk down this street and quickly enter through the cap in the wall and stand up against the building.There is now a Dalek spaceship swooping back along and fourth this street repeatedly. For the next section, you will need to swap between the street and up-against the houses, ensuring you are not caught in the spotlight from the Dalek ship. You can press shift after you begin to move to start running.
When you reach the end of the street, you can open a door and this will allow you to enter another building called ‘Reception’. There are now a few items you need to collect.
- On the desk against the right wall as you enter is a key, you’ll need it!
- Continue out the other door of the building. Directly in-front of you and a little to the lift, you can see the next item: A red cable, but you’ll need to walk off the decking and then back along in-front of it to grab it.
- Return back to where you left the decking outside the reception, and look across the junkyard, you can see the next item opposite the building, a black cable hung up against the wall. Walk over to collect it.
Now you have the key, and both red and black cables, return to the decking where you left the reception. You should have a clear view of a lit bus and also a crane.
Approach the back of the crane and attack both cables. Now, head round to the left to use the key and open the crane door.
Once you have opened the crane, sonic the control panel. The buss will be moved out of the way, but this will also uncover a Dalek! Allow the crane to complete it’s motion, then sonic it again to pick up the Dalek! You’re now free to continue forward. There is now a maze of containers to navigate.
Walk through the first red container, then the second. Walk around to enter the the red container in-front of you. Then, to your immediate right enter the blue container. When you come out, travel through the grey container, and then the container after that. Turn left, and walk through one last red container to find the radio.
Collect the radio, then turn left and walk through the archway.
There are now two items to find:
- To the right of the workbench against the wall are some stairs leading to a balcony. Walk up these stairs and you can see the required satellite dish to your right. Sonic it to bring it down and collect it.
- Walk through some iconic gates and to your left there is a car. Sonic the bonnet to open it and collect the car battery from within.
Now, return and place both items on the workbench. When requested, sonic them. Then, after the Dalek voice, sonic them one more time to allow safe landing, and get in there sharpish! Well done, you’ve completed the first level of Edge of Reality!
2a: Flying the TARDIS
Now, you’ll play Bop-it with the TARDIS. It will highlight some switches on the panel in order, you need to remember the order and then hit them. After each round, the doctor will deliver some dialogue, before the next round begins. The third and final round concludes with you pulling the big flight switch to engage the flight, and well done, you’ve flown and landed the TARDIS! Now, head outside to explore the next level!
3a: Lucia Minor – Exterior
Continue down the path following the beacons until you reach a campsite. There’s a box to your right.
You can sonic the top section of the box to retrieve the torch.
You can turn on the torch with right-click and toggle it on and off. Then, continue down the path by torchlight.
There’s something skulking around in the woods, but keep going until you reach a small ravine, and continue through it until there’s a branch in the path.
Walk left and up the path to find another box, sonic it like the last one to reveal the an upgrade to your torch. Right click now toggles between off, torch and the new UV light. I’d strongly recommend leaving it on UV for the most part however as following trails is key to this level. Now, return back to the fork and take the left path to emerge in a clearing.
It’s now time to commence a search for 4 plug sockets, which you’ll need to finish this part of the level.
- From the clearing, head right following the smear trail off to the side towards the campsite. Here you can find the red plug sitting on a rock. Pick it up!
- Return to the clearing and continue to follow the smear trail. However, it will soon come to another fork, one trail leading up a hill. For now, follow the trail to the left, we’ll return to the hill later on.
- You’ll soon find some more bones and the next plug socket, this one is blue, as well as a glitchy figure making his first appearance.
- Return back to the hillside branch and follow the smear trail up the hill. You should have 1 red and 1 blue plug by this point.
- On top of the hill, there is a campsite. Atop the box rests a green plug, collect it. Then, when ready, enter the cave.
- Follow the smear trail through the cave until you find the room with the plug puzzle.
- In this room is the final blue plug socket, bringing your total to 4. You should now have all plugs required to complete the puzzle.
The plug puzzle simply involves placing the 4 plugs you’ve found in the slots corresponding to the sketches on the walls.
Here is the solution:
When you’ve arranged them as such, flip the switch and head out into the clearing.
Here is the final puzzle of this portion of the level. When you enter, a podium should raise up out of the lift. Looking at the light pattern on the wall tells you the order of buttons around the podium you should activate. The top of the diagram is for the back of the podium, and so on. The button’s hitbox is a little difficult to select, but it will turn green when pressed (or red if you pressed the incorrect one).
After you press the six buttons in the correct order, the lift will activate transporting you inside Lucia Minor!
3b: Lucia Minor – Interior
The gravity will fail in the next hallway, but you can still sonic the next door to continue.
The door to the right is jammed, so continue down the hallway to the left.
You’ll then come up against the locked door to the bridge. As it’s blocked, you’ll need to sonic the other door and walk down the hallway to enter the laser puzzle!
- First, press the button to enable the laser. This will hit one of the door panels and the right door will unlock.
- Before you leave the main chamber, walk around to pick up the green reflector plate on the side opposite the door where you came in.
- Enter the newly discovered side chamber and press the button to turn it on.
- Still in the side chamber, take the refractor plate off the podium and replace it with the reflector you picked up. The laser should have been bounced back into the main chamber.
- Return to the main chamber, and place the refractor plate you just picked up in the path of the newly redirected laser from the side room.
- This unlocks a box on the wall where you can grab another refractor plate.
- Now, press the rotate button in the main control room two more times. This will shut the original side room, but also open another one.
- Enter the new side room and press the on button to enable the laser, then walk around to the three levers at the back.
- Select the panel with the levers to enter the spinning puzzle. Each lever controls different layers of the barrier. You can select which lever to use using the w and s keys, and a and d to pull the lever either left or right.
- The solution is pull the top lever 3 times (either direction) to line up the outer barrier. Then, pull the second lever left once to line up the middle barrier. Finally, pull the third lever 3 more times to line up the inner barrier.
- Now, return to the main room, and place a refractor plate in the path of the new laser.
- This unlocks one final refractor plate from the wall Take it, and place it in the final remaining slot in the main room opposite the entrance.
- Finally, press the cycle button 3 more times. The laser will be refracted unlocking both doors, and both side room lasers will also be refracted which unlocks the door to the bridge, puzzle complete!
Return down the hallway and turn left to the newly unlocked hallway towards the bridge. You’ll soon come to a fork in the road where the path ahead is blocked by crates, so you’ll need to head off to the right.
You’ll reach another fork, but carry straight on and turn right into the a bright room. Sonic the device in the middle to turn off the artificial gravity.
Then, float your way back to the crate blockade and you can float right through it.
You’ll then need to sonic your way through the door past the blockade.
When you’re ready, sonic the next door and proceed into the Zlysters’ Room. Listen to them and, when then stop, step on the lift in the centre of the room to be lowered down.
I’m pretty sure the puzzle is actually just to press any one of the round green buttons on each of the 3 consoles.
Once you’ve done this, the lift will lower you to the bridge, at long last.
Let the scene play out that starts when you enter the bridge. When told, sonic the three control terminals.
This will raise the first time crystal out of the ground! Open the case and grab the crystal.
Finally, sonic EMER’s panel and leave via the doors behind you.
From there, it’s a straight shot to the TARDIS to complete this level!
Once inside the TARDIS, pull the flight lever to take flight to your next adventure!
4a: Empty Streets of Victorian London
Turn right from the fountain and walk towards the gate in-front of you. This is the only gate in the park you can open. Sonic it to proceed.Walk forward to look into a side alley containing an abandoned cart. Walk through this side ally to come out the other side onto another street and turn left then walk to the end of the road. Walk through the gates in-front of you, and turn left. You’ve found Manfred Grayle’s House! Just walk in through the open front door!
4b: The House of Manfred Grayle
After entering Grayle’s house, walk up the stairs to the second floor. Now, proceed towards the door at the end of the hall visible. A loading screen should occur.
You now need to rebuild the cylinder phonograph. The wax tube is placed on the globe, and the handle for it is on the dresser to the right of the door where you came in. Place both on the phonograph and then wind it up.
A long scene will follow containing two time-glitches.
When requested, wind the phonograph twice (you wind it backwards and then forwards again) to trigger a time-glitch.
You’ll then be prompted until you wind it backwards once more, and observe the photo above the fireplace.
Once again wind the phonograph back to return to the non-damaged room.
You need to collect the four books from around the room. Here are there locations:
- On the dresser to the right of the door.
- On the bookshelf under the skull to the left of the fireplace
- On the boxes to the right of the fireplace.
- And on the bookshelf at the back, to the left of the street street painting.
Take these books over to the fireplace and, when prompted, burn the books in order.
The Order Is: Leaf, Bug, Cacoon, Firefly.
A scene will then play out leading you over to the painting. You will now need to bring three candles to the painting. They only spawn in one at a time, so you need to find them in order.
Note, I’d recommend turning down your volume as the painting’s voice is very loud.
- The first candle is on the bookshelf to the left of the fireplace.
- The second candle is on the lefthand side of the bookshelf at the back.
- Walk away from the painting and someone will open the door. Head towards it and it will now be unlocked. Open it, and the third and final candle is out in the hallway.
When placing the third candle into the holder, a jumpscare will trigger revealing a key.
Place it in the keyhole in the cylinder phonograph at the back of the room. The angel from the painting will not move anymore.
When you’ve unlocked the phonograph, take the ‘time key’ out of it and when you look back at the centre of the room, the lift will emerge. Step inside to pull the lever and descend to the crypt.
4c: The Crypt of Manfred Grayle
The angels won’t trigger until they have been observed at least once, so don’t worry about being killed from behind unnecessarily. Angels moving behind you make a stone grating sound, but as long as you keep them in sight and stay on the right track, you should be able to reach the time cabinet.
After you go down some stairs, there is a series of hallways where stone moving sounds are just played to scare you however. Once you have made it through, you can unlock the time cabinet and take the time crystal you came for. Not to say you’ll be getting out without one last confrontation. Fortunately, all these angels are looking at each other! And, fortunately, the TARDIS arrives just in time! Enter it and flip the flight switch to complete the level and make your way towards the next one!
5a: The Temple of the First
Upon leaving the TARDIS, walk across the bridge in-front of you. Hold down the sonic on the lowered square in the ground in-front of you to raise the box containing the time crystal. Attempting to take it however triggers a time glitch, and the true level begins.
In this level, you are required to stealth round some rooms containing Daleks. There is plenty of rubble around which you can throw by holding right-click to set the arc, and then pressing left click to confirm. There are a number of rooms to pass through, but the process is mostly the same: Throw an object to distract a Dalek and sneak by or behind them to the door panel, which opens the exit. This continues until you reach a bridge which concludes this portion of the level.
5b: Inside the Casing
Some tips for this section, move side to side to avoid bullets, shoot power ups (white lights in the ground) when they’re available. Use the cover you can to avoid bullets, and keep an eye on your gun’s heat level. Don’t let it overheat in the midst of battle, because you’ll be helpless. If you can fight your way all the way back to the time crystal, it’s time for the final showdown.
You’ll need to destroy the four shield generators to release the crystal, and then shoot at the black casing. As a hint, once they’ve been destroyed once, they only need 2 shots to re-disable. Simply click twice on each and then resume shooting at the black casing.
After, destroying 3 of the 6 black cover sections, drones and Daleks will enter. Destroy these, and then destroy more of the cover. Repeat and ensure you kill the drones and Daleks before returning fire to the case to destroy the final 3 sections and triggering a time glitch back to safety!
Finally, pick up both of the floating time crystals and place them in the slots in the box to open it, revealing… the TARDIS? See what’s inside to complete this level!
6a: Confronting The First
Now, all that’s left to do is sonic the three devices to bring them together, and let the final scene play out.
7a: A return to the Laundrette
Walk through the door to the manages office and, like before, replace the breaker part and re-flip the switch. Let the scene play out, and make your way back to the front door. Sonic it to unlock it, and head out into the street.
7b: Cyberman Invaded London
To navigate through the junkyard, first leave the launderette and turn left. Walk down the street and avoid the iconic trotters lane gates, instead enter the hole in the past them. Then turn right and walk through a red container before walking through a yellow one. To your left there is a blue container at an angle. Walk up it and drop down out the other side.
From here, continue forward until you find the decking of the familiar Reception room. Walk alongside the decking until a gap in the wall where you can exit into the courtyard with the Cyberman head.
Use the sonic screwdriver on it to discover the information you need.
From there, walk out past the Cyberman’s body and past the caravan until you come out in a more open area. There will likely be a Cyberman here, but double back around through the hole in the wall to the left and head towards the base of the tower.
Hold your sonic on the console to trigger a transmat up into the cybership!
8a: The Cybership
Walk out of the bridge and through a storage room to the first junction. You need to go left, so wait for the Cybermen to walk right before running past him if you can.
Follow the hallway around until you find the monitor. From monitors you can control Cybermats. They can only move to a limited area (they will run into invisible walls) but use them to disable all the Cybermen you can to make your life easier as you explore the ship.
Exit the room straight ahead past the screen, and then follow the hallway left. The Cybermen here should be disabled as this is the hallway the Cybermat was just in!
Follow the hallway along until you reach a large storage room. As instructed, step on the elevator to your left as you enter the room and ride it down, then continue in the direction you were walking to the screen in the centre of the room. Disable both Cybermen there, and then continue in the same direction to exit the room on the far side. Walk past the disabled Cybermen to reunite with the Doctor!
Let the scene play out, and you’ll be given your new quest: retrieve a cyber hand.
So, walk back through the storage room and instead exit by the other door. You’ll need to sneak past another Cyberman. You need to go right so wait for him to walk left and sneak around behind him.
Down this hallway there are two more active Cybermen in waiting, and the latter will definitely spot you. Use ‘shift’ to sprint to the other side of the room with the big generator and hope he isn’t following you. You can then turn around and use the screen to disable another Cybermen with another Cybermat.
Continue down the corridor until you find yourself in the Cyberman conversion plant. There are stairs to either side so watch which way the patrolling Cyberman walks, and walk in the opposite direction.
You’ll almost definitely be spotted on the floor of the room, so it’s time to run. Sprint over to the far side of the room to collect your target, and then escape again. Now, all you need to do is return to the doctor with the Cyberhand, back the way you came. Then, place the Cyberman hand on the panel.
Let the scene play out, then you’ll need to head back to the big generator room where you just were. Emma will direct you, so just follow her directions.
When you arrive, sonic the generator! If any Cybermen were chasing you, don’t worry, they’ve been deactivated! The problem is, they were deactivated because the Cyber-Reaper arrived! You’ll now need to dash back to the bridge. Follow EMER’s directions to re-trace your steps all the way back to where you arrived. When you reach it, the TARDIS will materialise around you.
9a: The Chaosverse
The Chaosverse is divided into three cores you need to deactivate to save the day!
For the first level, just follow the doctor and he’ll lead you to the core. When you’re there, hold your sonic on it to deactivate it.
The seccond level is the same for the most part, until you run into a time-glitch. The doctor has vanished! You’re on your own now and have some platforming to do. Wait until the next platform is safely below you and drop down onto it.
The final level is one final chase over all sorts of terrain. On the islands, the cyber reaper will chase you, but on the bridges between he cannot, so take your time and wait until the platforms you need to cross appear. After climbing almost to the core, you’ll reunite with the doctor and confront the Cyberreaper together.
9b: The Chaosverse Tower
After the cutscene finishes, walk over to the final core and sonic it to finish the game!