For DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT players, this guide provides you a potential fix for the Access Violation crash plaguing some users.
Some background, failed attempts
Played the OG game for 60 hours without a single crash, but then started DC and started getting the access violation crash.
I tried all the usual suggestions; run as admin, verify integrity, update graphics drivers, update visual c++ whatevers, making an exclusion in windows security etc. to no avail.
Setting texture memory to default instead of high in the graphics settings seemed to help, but wasn’t consistent. I would still crash when entering the private room etc.
I delved deep into the depths of reddit and found this; and finally made the crash disappear. Haven’t crashed since and I’m playing with max graphics, chrome running etc. and figured this might help more people, since I haven’t seen it suggested in the usual suggestions.
- Updated Microsoft Visual C++ redistritbuitbuabtable , picking the X64 version (64 bit)
- Latest drivers for GPU
- Verifying integrity of game files through steam
- Added the Death Stranding folder to Microsoft Virust & Threat Protection
(Virus & threat protection settings -> Add or remove exlcusion -> Add Death Stranding folder)
- Set the ds.exe to run in Admin mode
(by right-clicking on the .exe -> Properties -> Compatability -> Run this program as administrator)
- Installed latest windows updates
Again, not sure if any of these also helped, but what finally fixed it is what I’ve listed below
- Press the Windows key, and type in “exploit”
- Select Exploit Protection
- Change to the Program settings tab
- Press Add program to customize and pick Choose exact file path
- Navigate to your Death Stranding folder, and pick ds.exe
- Go through every item, top to bottom, checking in each box and changing them to Off.
Note that some of them default to ON when overriding
- Hit Apply and restart your PC.
- DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT How to Import Old Save
- DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT Structures Guide