For Phasmophobia players, this is a comprehensive guide of all the cursed possessions, items and objects, how to use them, their effects, and tips & strategies. This includes the tarot cards, ouija board, tortured voodoo doll, music box, haunted mirror, and the summoning circle.
General Rules (Read First)
- A cursed possession will always spawn on every map, and all have an equal chance of spawning.
- Each cursed possession has one spawn position per map. On medium/large maps they will spawn in the first room.
- All cursed possessions will give a photo reward when photographed using the camera.Tip: For a 3 star photo your camera must be <1.5 meters away from the evidence, so get as close as possible, such as crouching when photographing the summoning circle.
- You must use cursed possessions while inside the house.
- Once the cursed possession is fully used or broken (ouija board/mirror), you can no longer use said item.
- Breaking a cursed possession will cause a cursed hunt, which has different rules than a regular hunt and will affect future “normal” hunts.
- For the cursed possessions that affect sanity per use (all but the tarot cards), reaching 0% sanity will caused a cursed hunt (except for the music box, which causes a normal hunt). Tip: Since hunts get harder after triggering a cursed hunt, you should wait at least until after set-up to use a cursed possession.
Personally, I find it’s better to wait until after you’re tried everything you want to first, and when hunts can start/have already started.
Since above 50% average sanity is the prime set-up/safe evidence collecting stage where hunts do not normally initiate, that’s around the time when I would start using cursed possessions.
Remember to take pills first to avoid hitting 0% if needed.
Cursed hunts differ from regular hunts in that:
- They can happen at any sanity level
- They cannot be prevented (Crucifixes or smudge sticks will have no effect, and crucifixes will not be consumed)
- They have a grace period of 1 second
- They are longer than normal hunts regardless of map or difficulty
- All “normal” hunts after will be longer
Cursed hunts take place when:
- A cursed possession is broken (ouija board/mirror)
- The ouija board is used with ~<5% sanity
- The death tarot card is pulled
- A pin goes into the voodoo doll’s heart
- The music box is dropped while playing music, the ghost touches the music box, or manifests for more than 5 seconds
- The summoning circle is used
The tarot cards are the most unpredictable cursed possession of them all, each card having a unique effect on either the player or the ghost.
Tip: Make sure to take a photo first, a photo cannot be taken if all the cards have been used.
To pick up the deck, press your pick-up item key (E by default). To pull a card, pick up the deck and press your “primary use” key/button, which is right click by default.
Each tarot card deck contains 10 randomly generated cards. After being used, each card will burn up and vanish in a colored flame that is dependent on its type. The flame color isn’t significant unless it’s the Wheel of Fortune card.
The following table describes the different cards you may pull, in order of likelihood of being pulled.
Red: The player loses 25% sanity.
Causes an interaction.
Tip: This can force the ghost to interact with the Ghost Writing Book or DOTS Projector in addition to doors/objects.
No effect is applied when drawing this card.
When drawing cards during a hunt, all cards will turn into the fool.
100% during hunts
Does not prevent hunts.
The oujia board is an object used to ask the ghost questions. This can be very helpful in determining the ghost room or your current sanity, but has some other fun uses as well.
The ouija board was a feature before the cursed possession update, however it underwent a few changes (both visual and functional) in this update.
New Changes to Ouija Board (from the 0.5.0 Cursed Possessions Update)
- The ouija board no longer fails questions
- New questions have been added
- You can check your sanity using the ouija board (which is helpful for nightmare mode)
- You must say goodbye to the ouija board before walking away from it, or else a cursed hunt will start
- Using the ouija board with ~<5% sanity will also cause a cursed hunt
Detailed Ouija Board Information
To use the ouija board, you can either hold the ouija board or place it on the floor, and activate it by left clicking on the ouija board (interact keybind). The ouija board must be picked up with an empty hand with your pick-up button (E by default). Swapping to another object will drop the ouija board. Once activated, a planchette will appear.
To ask the ouija board a question, you must hold your push to talk button and be within a certain range of the ouija board (investigation area). The ouija board does not have to be in the ghost room nor the ghost to be used.
As with all the cursed possessions, the ouija board does count as its own photo type that rewards a lot of points. If a photo of the Ouija Board is taken within 20 seconds after a question is successfully asked, it will count as an interaction photo instead, so make sure to get a photo before use and during for maximum photo points.
Tip: There is no limit to the number of ouija board interaction photos that will reward points (the same question can be asked as well), so you can fill remaining photo pages with these photos to guarantee more money at the end of the session.
If the question is recognized, the planchette will move to answer the question, and an EMF Level 2 reading will be generated around the Ouija Board. If the ghost has EMF Level 5 as evidence, there is a 25% chance for this to be the reading instead.
If the player who activated the board walks away from an active Ouija Board, or the player currently asking a question has insufficient sanity to “pay” for the question, the board will break itself up and trigger a cursed hunt.
Some Useful Ouija Board Questions
What is your favorite room?
Where is your body?
Where did you die?
What is your age?
How crazy/insane am I?
Am I insane?
See the wiki for more questions, including some fun ones you can try out:
Voodoo dolls are used to force interactions from the ghost.
To use the voodoo doll, pick up the voodoo doll by pressing your pick-up item key (E by default) and press your “primary use” key/button (right click by default).
Interacting with the voodoo doll will stick 1 of 10 pins in it at random, forcing the ghost to perform an interaction such as EMF 5, writing in the Ghost Writing Book, creating silhouettes in D.O.T.S. Projectors, and touching doors, windows, and light switches for Fingerprints.
Each pin use will drain sanity by 5%. If your sanity is less than 5% on a normal pin use, all the remaining pins will go in and a cursed hunt will commence.
All pins stabs are considered “normal” stabs, except for a stab in the heart. If a pin is stabbed in the heart, a cursed hunt will commence, and the users sanity will drop by 10%.
The music box is used to locate the ghost.
To activate the music box, pick up the music box by pressing your pick-up item key (E by default) and press your “primary use” key/button (right click by default) to start the music.
The music box will open when it is picked up, but it’s not activated until the music plays.
Once activated, the ghost will start singing along with the music at its current location.
It will still remain invisible unless it is within 5 meters of the activated music box, triggering the music box ghost event. During the box-triggered ghost event, the ghost will manifest fully and start walking toward the music box.
Tip: Taking a photo of the ghost during this ghost event still counts as a ghost photo
The music box has three conditions that can cause a cursed hunt:
- If the music box is thrown from a player’s inventory while playing music.
Tip: Just avoid this by placing the music box with your secondary use key (F by default).
- If during the box ghost event it: it appears for more than 5 seconds, or touches a player holding the music box.
An activated music box will drain the sanity of any player (within 2.5 meters) by 2.5% per second, with a maximum loss of approximately 75% for listening to the whole song.
Upon reaching 0% sanity, a normal hunt will occur. (I tested this for 2 hours it is true.)
The haunted mirror is a cursed possession used to locate the ghost room.
Tip: If you’ve been having trouble finding your cursed possession on the usual surfaces, make sure to check the walls for the mirror!
To use the mirror, pick up the mirror by pressing your pick-up item key (E by default) and press your “primary use” key/button (right click by default) to activate it.
When activated, the haunted mirror will show a part of the ghost room. This view is a live feed of the room, so any lights turned on, items moved, and equipment or players present in the room will be visible. The only exception is if the player using the mirror is within its view; neither the player nor the mirror will be visible.
Using the haunted mirror will rapidly drain the user’s sanity at a rate of ~10%/second, including the animation of raising and lowering the mirror.
If the user’s sanity reaches zero, the mirror will break, and the ghost will start a cursed hunt from its current position.
The summoning circle is a tool used to start a ghost event of a full body manifestation of the ghost.
To use the summoning circle, you must light all 5 candles using your secondary use key (F by default) while holding a lit lighter. These candles can be blown out or extinguished with time like normal candles.
Once all are lit, the ghost will appear fully materialized, unless it is a shade, which appears as a translucent shadow. There will be a 1-6 second “grace period” where the ghost will be motionless and trapped inside the circle. (Tip: This serves as a great opportunity for a ghost photo.) Then the ghost will commence a cursed hunt. The summoning circle can only be used once, so use it wisely.
Lighting each candle will deduct 16% of nearby players sanity, a total of 80% for all candles.
If you hit 0% sanity upon lighting the last candle, there will be no grace period and a hunt will commence instantly.
If the circle is lit during an ongoing hunt, the ghost will be teleported to the circle with no grace period, potentially killing you instantly.
Helpful Links + Sources
I guarantee this doc will teach you something new.Wibble’s google sheets doc is public (anyone with the link can view) so you don’t need a google account. However, if you wish to use the interactive ghost evidence checklist, you will need to make a private copy.
Wibble has a great guide to everything Phasmophobia, from ghost behaviors to even the specific point values for photo rewards. He also updates it with every update, so this will continue to be a great resource, especially with big changes. I personally use this reference while playing all the time, even as someone with a lot of experience.
If you are having trouble with cursed possession locations this interactive map is also a helpful resource. I am also planning on making an in depth guide on this topic in the future!
I gathered most of this information from the Phasmophobia Wiki and referenced other steam guides to try to improve upon the existing information already in the Phasmophobia guides. (@RzcCoreyTTV and @austinjamessy here on steam have some great reference guides published already.)
And yes, wiki’s are public and can be edited by everyone. This is why I have verified their sources as well. Most of the data given has been community tested and verified, but I decided to cross-check info and verify some things in-game myself just to make sure.
Otherwise, information stated was from my own experiences and knowledge of the game.
- Phasmophobia Cursed Possessions Guide (New Update)
- Phasmophobia Tarot Cards Guide (Where to Find & How to Use)
- Phasmophobia Beginners Tips (Sanity, Tracking, Salt, Item, Hidding, Camera)
- Phasmophobia All Ghost Types (Strengths and Weaknesses.)
- Phasmophobia Quick Tips and Questions Answered