Hello fellow Diablo fans.
Following the release of 1.2 patch my steam version of Diablo IV stopped working, alwys crashing 2-3 seconds after launch, and producing the infamous “Fenris – the application encountered an unexpected error” message.
I searched steam forums, where a lot of people had similar problem, and where the only solution offered was to delete “dstorage.dll” in game directory.
It worked for some, it didn’t work for me, so I reached out to Blizzard tech support, who gave me number of advices, which I’m posting below.
Hopefully it will help those unfortunate ones who are still struggling with this problem.
My original ticket
My problem is related to the steam version – until last weeks patch it was working smoothly – i played ~35h in this season.
After last week’s patch steam version is crashing couple of seconds after launching (I’m not even getting to see any logos), and I’m getting error code like this one “98F172C9-69DF-48BF-B99A-1DB59B1287EA”
Checking integrity of game files, updating drivers, or deleting “dstorage.dll” didnt help.
Can you please advise what must i do?
BNet version works smoothly
Tech support response 1
Game Master Ixzal here and I can totally understand how these D4 crashes would be upsetting. It’s never fun having your free time and gameplay interrupted.
I checked these crashes and they appear to be related to a bug that is being investigated. It’s not clear what’s causing this but it may be due to a conflict with another background program. You might want to try disabling all other programs temporarily while testing the Steam version of D4:
If that doesn’t help, then you may want to keep an eye on the patch notes or D4 bug forums for any updates on this situation:
Tech support response 2
I am Game Master Chedragori, how do you do? I hope fine. Well then lets see what we can do for you.
It is absolutely understandable that you contact us with this request. You would like to play Diablo IV. We should be able to help you with that. 🙂
Since this is a technical issue, the next part is most likely a bit dull and plain to read, but that is the way with technical issues. After all the instructions should be clear and easy to read without unnecessary fluff around them. 🙂
I would advise you to try the following:
• Here you can find the Diablo IV crash Support Article:
• Reset the Diablo IV settings:
Simply delete the Diablo IV Folder in your Documents Folder.
• Reinstall the graphics drivers.
Before doing this though, using a program like DDU (display driver uninstaller) can help ensure that the old or currently installed drivers are fully and correctly uninstalled.
– A guide on how to use and install DDU can be found here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
– Once the graphics drivers are uninstalled, install the most current drivers from the card manufacturers website.
• Please uninstall the following programms:
2. Kaspersky (https://support.kaspersky.com/KISA/MR21/en-us/71927.htm)
3. MSI Nahimic Surround Sound (https://technclub.com/guides/nahimic-companion-how-to-remove/)
4. Razer software (https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1708/~/how-to-re-install-razer-synapse-3-%26-2.0-on-windows)
When you are done uninstalling the software, look for these files:
Maker sure to only delete those files and nothing else.
• If this does not help simply contact us again and please attach new system files again since they are deleted every time we answer a ticket and we need up to date files.
I wish you a pleasant weekend and hope you will have much fun with our games.
Game Master Chedragori
Finally I decided to make a clean installation of the game.In order not to download all ~90GB all over again, first I made a backup of the game files – in steam library you rightclick Diablo >> installed files >> backup game files
Then, in steamapps folder I deleted “Diablo IV” folder completelly, and then restored earlier backup.
Steam downloaded missing files, and that actually did the job.
Game works again.
I hope that helps if you are struggling with similar problem.
- Diablo IV Interactive Map with Everything you Need
- Diablo IV Live Player Location and Timers with Interactive Map