For Baldur’s Gate 3 players, this is a guide about Basics like controls and interactions you really want to know before you play. Let’s check it out.
Basic controls and interactions
Highlight creatures and characters by pressing the tilde key (the key left of 1).
– Enemies are red ; threats you can talk to are yellow ; friendlies are green.
Camera rotation : by default, you can use the Middle Mouse Button or use the keys Delete / End. We recommend you change this to something useful like q and e.
Before doing a Long Rest, consider that you can do a few Short Rests before. This is done with a button near the minimap (top-right). Almost all classes regain some features after a Short Rests and you heal an amount of HP (rolls your HP dice modified by your Constitution modifier bonus).
Inspecting : right-clicking offers options (for things under your cursor). This includes inspecting a creature to evaluate its capacities. It is also helpful for lockpicking.
Destroy objects, even chests, by holding the Ctrl key while you attack the object. Note this can destroy the contents (! at least in Early Access), so it is not recommended.
You can set weapons/arrows on fire or apply other substances using the Dip bonus action.
Disengage manoeuver to avoid Attacks of opportunity : currently in the game, the Jump bonus action is also the Disengage manoeuver (usually an Action in the pen-and-paper version).
You can move objects (mouse drag) and place them in a way that allows you to climb upwards. You can also place containers inside your inventory and even send them to your camp.
Moving characters separately out of combat : there are two methods …
– A character in stealth can move away without being followed by the rest of the party.
– You can drag a portrait (bottom left) to detach the character from the party movements.
Switch characters easily by pressing F1 F2 F3 F4.
– Even when in dialogue, you can switch character. This can open up various possibilities …
Changing party members : talking to a companion allows you to ask them to stay at the camp. You can then ask another companion to join the active party.
Selling items : you *must* cilck the balance icon at the bottom for the vendor to give you gold, otherwise you are giving your stuff away for free! It is recommended to always Quicksave before trading/bartering.
Quickly mark items as “Wares” (stuff to sell/vendor) by shift+clicking the items.
– There is no quick sell button at the moment. A trick is to put junk items in a container and then sell the whole container (worked in DOS: not tested yet in BG3). You can filter, in the vendor window, to show only the “wares”.
For tips, I suggest you/we create another guide. Though maybe tips should just be added here also.
About this guide : this can be a cooperative guide by adding, in the comments below, other basic controls a player will want to know.
Reminder : Early Access is a very incomplete version, with various bugs and quirks, and should not be played if you want to play a ready or released version. The 2020 version is *not* the released version.
That’s all we are sharing today in Baldur’s Gate 3 Things You Need to know Before Play (Basic Interactions), if there are anything you want to add please feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll see you soon.
Credit to Baraz
- Dungeon Kitty: Keyboard Controls Guide
- OMORI Prologue Basic Controls Guide
- MY HERO ONE’S JUSTICE 2: How to Unlock Characters
- Disgaea RPG Tier List (Strongest Character Ranking 2021)
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Tips and Tricks to Get Started For Beginners