For Bakso Simulator players, this guide will show you a way to make a proper Bakso, let’s check out how.
Ingredients & Utensils
4x beef bones (weighing about 700 g (roughly 1.5 lb))
2x litres water
3x cloves garlic sliced
5 cm ginger, sliced
1x stalk celery
2x spring onions scallions, chopped in three piece
1x star anise petal
1x very small cinnamon stick
½ white pepper
1 tsp salt
1x Soup Spoon
Method & Serve
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 1 whole minute, until it’s all thoroughly mixed and you have a smooth mixture.
- Tip the meat paste into a bowl. If you are not ready to cook them yet, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge until needed.
- When ready to cook, do a taste test first. Microwave a pinch of the meat paste for about 30 seconds, then taste it. Add more salt if needed.
- Let’s make some balls! Scoop a small amount of the meatball paste in your hand, clench your fist and push the paste between the “hole” made by your thumb and forefinger
- Use a teaspoon to scoop the ball off your hand.
- Keep doing this until all the meatball paste has been used up. Rinse your hands regularly to keep the balls from sticking.
- At this stage, you could roll them between your palms to create more rounded and smooth meatballs, if you like. Again, don’t forget to dip your hands in the bowl of cold water to keep the paste from sticking.
- Bring a pot of water or the beef broth to boil.
- Lower the heat right down and slowly, slide the meatballs into the simmering water. You want them to form roughly a single layer, don’t overfill the pot, so you may have to do this in 2 batches.
- Increase the heat to medium high and keep a close eye on the meatballs.
- As soon as the water starts to boil, lower the heat down to medium-low or low and simmer for 3 minutes. This should be enough time for the balls to cook. Don’t let the water come to a rolling boil as the meatballs might fall apart. The balls should also float to the surface when they are done.
- When they are done, scoop out with a skimmer or slotted spoon and set aside.
Noodles of your choice amount
4x small handfuls beansprouts
1x large handful of any greens like pak choi or spinach
Sambal or chilli paste of your choice
Sliced up red chillies in dark soy sauce
Crispy shallots homemade or shop bought