For Age of Wonders 4 players who are using Steam Deck and having the issue of Paradox Launcher, this guide will show you how to fix the issue.
Using Steam Mods on Steam Deck
Because of the missing Paradox Launcher?
Here is what you will do:
1. Download the Paradox Launcher.exe file from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GqG6ZJWNodbhUqzkvbQ6IHZOEyGLd4gW/view?usp=share_link
Alternative: You can of course copy & paste the file from your PC if you also play Age of Wonders 4 on your PC. The link I provide is for those who play on Steam Deck and do not have access to a PC from which they can copy & paste the file. You can also get the file from a friend or other trusted source. It should be the same for everyone.
2. Replace the identical file on your Steam Deck (launcher-se folder within the local game files)
3. You should now be able to use the launcher
What is going on that this works?
It seems that at some point the Paradox Launcher.exe does not download correctly to the Steam Deck with the game, rendering the existing Paradox Launcher.exe file on the Steam Deck useless, even though all the files appear to be there.
The file you can download is from the PC version of the game and should be identical to the one you are getting for your Steam Deck. Replacing the Steam Deck “dummy” version with a working desktop PC version of Paradox Launcher.exe does the trick to make it work.
Weird. Sure. Whatever works. I guess. Happy gaming!
Bonus: Mods from other Sources
(if it does not already exist, you will need to create the Mods subfolder)
You can then use the launcher to add any mods you put there.
- Age of Wonders 4 How to Prevent Mods from Auto-updating
- Age of Wonders 4 Downloaded Mods Location in Steam Folders
- Age of Wonders 4 Technical Troubleshooting Guide
- Age of Wonders 4 Performance Boost Tweaks
- Age of Wonders 4 Pantheon Restoration Guide