For Phasmophobia players, this guide contains sll the little details and information about Equipment and Items in Phasmophobia.
Table of contents
When a player dies, they lose all equipment they added to the mission, excluding 1 of each starter equipment. Players who stay alive do not have to collect their equipment at the end of a contract to keep their equipment; it will be returned to you automatically.
There are 4 types of equipment:
101. Spirit Box
A piece of equipment that can be used to ask the ghost questions to get more information. Only some ghosts will respond via the spirit box, which can be used as evidence when identifying the ghost.
Spirit Box can capture radio frequencies that allow for communication with spirits.
To use the Spirit Box, you must be in the same room as the ghost, or within 3 meters if not in the same room, for it to answer. Lights must be off. Shy ghosts will require you to be the only person in the room. However, they will sometimes respond when a group is entering a room because it only detects one player.
The spirit box will still work if thrown on the ground as long as it is left on, and you are within range to ask questions and hear the responses. Sometimes, ghosts respond to spirit boxes placed on the ground without players directly trying to get a response with voice commands. Though ghosts can hear when you are talking no matter what, you must be using proximity chat for the spirit box to hear you.
Even though the Spirit Box requires a dark room, glowsticks do not count to that requirement.
There are four types of questions you can ask. If the spirit box does not respond with a message or “Nothing detected”, Your microphone is not working, or you did not ask one of the supported questions.
- ☢️ Difficulty
- 📌 Location
- 📆 Age
- 🎭 Personal
- What do you want?
- Why are you here?
- Do you want to hurt us?
- Are you angry?
- Do you want us here?
- Shall we leave?
- Should we leave?
- Do you want us to leave?
- What should we do?
- Can we help?
- Is anything wrong?
- Are you friendly?
If the ghost responds with “kill, death, attack” or other violent phrases, it might start a hunt soon. It’s advised to stop usage during a hunt. It is worth noting that sometimes ghosts will respond with a letter in an attempt to say a word, such as “E” when it is trying to say “leave”. This has lead to some newer players missing signs of a hunt coming soon.
- Where are you?
- Are you close?
- Can you show yourself?
- Give us a sign.
- Let us know you are here.
- Show yourself.
- Can you talk?
- Speak to us.
- Are you here?
- Are you with us?
- Anybody with us?
- Is anyone here?
- Anybody in the room?
- Anybody here?
- Is there a spirit here?
- Is there a Ghost here?
- What is your location?
If you are within 4 meters of the ghost, the ghost will give you a random response to how near it is. If you are further than 4 meters away, the ghost will give you a random response how far it is.
- How old are you?
- How young are you?
- What is your age?
- When were you born?
- Are you a child?
- Are you old?
- Are you young?
It will respond directly to how old and who they are e.g “Adult” or “Child”.
- Are you a girl?
- Are you a boy?
- Are you male?
- Are you female?
- Who are you?
- What are you?
- Who is this?
- Who are we talking to?
- Who am I talking to?
- What is your name?
- Can you give me your name?
- What is your gender?
- What gender?
- Are you male or female?
- Are you a man?
- Are you a woman?
- Are you single?
102. Ghost Writing Book
Ghost Writing Book, also known as automatic writing, is the equipment used to obtain Ghost Writing by placing it near a ghost.
- Demons tend to write in the book earlier in hunts as compared to other entities but are still never guaranteed to do so. Demons, like any other entity, can decide to never write in the book.
- The different writings displayed in the book once written in sometimes may clue into the type of ghost at play but are also sometimes purposefully misleading. Occult symbols will not always denote a Demon for example, but can usually highlight the probability of one.
- There is no way to forcefully trigger the book to be written in legitimately.
- No mechanics currently seem to exists that limit a ghost’s abilities to write in the book.
- It can be written while being held.
- It can be written in while in light or darkness.
- It can be written in while in view of the player.
- It does not have to be right-side up.
- It can be written in while in the player’s inventory, it doesn’t have to be held out.
- Taking pictures with a Photo Camera of the book once written in does not give extra photo money.
- If placed within the vision of an active Video Camera, you can use the truck’s monitor to see if writing has appeared.
103. Photo Camera
The Camera is equipment that is not used for gathering evidence. However, it may be required to complete additional objectives, daily challenges, or to acquire money from photo rewards upon finishing the investigation.
The Camera will flash its light twice the size of the regular flashlight, with 3 times the range of the Glow Stick. It can take pictures through walls, doors, garage doors, windows, and almost all surfaces if the lens can clip through it.
Any pictures taken of a reflective surface will show the lens flash in the picture, such as the TV, or the Axe one of the ghost models wields.
Each picture will reward $5 or $10 each at the end of the contract, added together as “Photo Evidence”, which is then multiplied by the difficulty multiplier. If a picture does not have a title in your journal, it will not reward money. It appears that you will only be credited once for each of the categories below. (Requires further investigation)
- Dirty Water
- Ouija Board
- Interaction (door moving, radio playing etc.)
- Dead body
- Voodoo Doll
- Taking a photo of a ghost through the window doesn’t seem to work. However, finger and handprints do.
- Fingerprints actually don’t need to be lit up by UV Light to register as a proper photo.
- In version 0.174, the photo camera is bugged, where the actual photo is in a slightly different angle than what the person taking the photo sees. This can cause some objects to not register, even though they’re clearly in the picture. Taking a photo at a bit of a distance usually helps.
104. EMF Reader
The Electro-Magnetic Field Reader is a handheld device used to detect fluctuations in electromagnetic fields left behind by paranormal activity. It will beep with increasing volume depending on the amount of activity nearby.
An EMF Reader is a purchasable piece of equipment used to read the current EMF in the location. It consists of a small white box with 5 lights. 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 orange and 1 red. When the item is turned on, the first light will light up.
As the ghost manifests, it will emit a reading based on the ghost’s interaction with items, and a tone will play (doors, Ouija Board, Dirty water, etc.).
It is the only way to determine if the Ghost produces an EMF Level 5 evidence.
If there are multiple EMF emissions in a location, it will show the stronger one.
The EMF reader can be dropped on the floor and is recommended to crouch and throw the EMF reader at a flatter trajectory, or straight down to prevent the EMF reader flipping over. While not in hand, the EMF reader gets a detection buff.
- EMF readers are in no way tied to Site Activity Monitor. An EMF Level 5 does not denote an activity level of at least 5, and vice-versa, an activity level of 5 will not denote an EMF level 5. These mechanics are independently functional.
- An EMF reading of 4 does not always denote or void out the existence of an EMF Level 5 clue. EMF 5 can prove to be very location-sensitive, oftentimes requiring you to pinpoint a specific location within the Ghost Room during elevated activity. Usually, this is a location the ghost has actively been standing in.
- Use of Motion Sensors, and consulting the Site Activity Monitor, can be used to be pinpoint locations where the ghost has been, and at what times it may give an active reading.
- EMF level 5 doesn’t always mean danger. It just means high activity. Inversely, dangerous scenarios will often not trigger EMF readings, and when it does, they’re still not likely to be EMF 5.
- During a hunt, the ghost cannot see an active EMF reader being held, but should it start going off, it can be heard. Toggling the EMF has also proven to make close-range noise. As the saying goes, “If another player can hear it, it can be heard by the ghost”.
- Like any tool, to silently disable the item, swap to an inactive item or empty hand.
- If placed within the vision of an active Video Camera, the EMF reader’s level can be read safely from inside the truck. Photographing an image of it on the truck’s computer screen will not count as evidence.
105. Video Camera
This DSLR Camera has been fine-tuned to take videos of the paranormal. The camera has a live feed to your computer monitor in the van. Clicking on the computer’s mouse cycles camera, and clicking the keyboard toggles night vision.
The Video Camera is one of the two ways of detecting the Ghost Orb evidence type, the other being the Head-Mounted Camera which serves as a portable Video Camera. Both require night vision to be toggled on to see the orb.
106. UV Flashlight
The UV Flashlight is a purchasable starter item, used to detect Fingerprints and Footprints. It can be carried and activated at the same time as a standard Flashlight or Strong Flashlight, but the faint fingerprints might not be visible under their light.
- A UV Flashlight is not required to take a photo of fingerprints, only for players to see them; errant photographs may discover them without having a UV Flashlight at all.
- UV Lights can be turned on and thrown around the house to light up space since the ghost can’t turn them off.
- As with the regular Flashlight, it will flicker during a Hunt.
The Flashlight is a basic hunting tool designed to help you when the lights go out.
Flashlights are the primary source of illuminating dark and/or poorly-lit areas, or otherwise one would have to roam in pitch-black darkness and lose their sanity. Players have two types of flashlights available to utilize at their disposal: the normal flashlight and the strong flashlight. The normal flashlight provides enough light for players to navigate their way around buildings and identify their surroundings. The strong flashlight provides a much stronger coverage of illumination and makes both navigating and identifying much easier. You cannot carry both. You can bring 4 of these with you on a mission.
In desktop, you can activate the flashlight while holding another item. In VR, you can place an activated flashlight on your hip, and it will still function. You can get creative with this, lay it on railings or tables or even illuminate an area hands-free.
The flashlight can also be mounted as a shoulder flashlight by pressing “T” while holding other items as long as it is in your inventory. This allows players to use other equipment while still being able to see in front of them.
During a Hunt, the Flashlight will flicker on and off for the duration of the Hunt. As such, it is critical to have one for having the first warning of an active Hunt.
A Candle is a great way of keeping room lit when the lights go out as it isn’t dependent on electricity.
Candles can be lit using a source of fire such as the lighter, which can be used to light up a room and prevent the player’s sanity dropping. Players can purchase candles, but they can also spawn on maps. Similar to the glow stick, the candle can be placed on the ground and will continuously emit light.
Lit candles and turned on lights will help slow, but not stop your sanity from dropping.
When holding a candle, players can light it by having the lighter in their inventory and pressing the F key.
Players can light candles that are not in their hand by holding the lighter or a lit candle in one hand and pressing the F key while near the unlit candle.
- Being able to place the candle rather than throw it is on the official development Trello board.
- Dropping candles, where they sit on the sides of tables, shelves, or other elevated objects, will significantly improve the candle’s lighting since candles produce weak visibility on the ground.
- In larger maps like Brownstone High School or the Asylum, candles may be helpful as navigation markers for important areas like the fuse box, ghost room, or exit door(s).
- Candles are not affected by Hunts.
- The candles available for purchase are significantly brighter than the ones found on-site.
A Crucifix is used to stop Ghosts from entering their physical form to attack you. It’s advised to place them near the Ghost.
The Crucifix is a purchasable item that is used to prevent the Ghost from entering into a Hunt.
For the Crucifix to successfully prevent a hunt, it must be in the vicinity of the ghost when it starts the hunt. The Crucifix has a range of 3 meters for most ghosts and 5 meters for the Banshee. When the ghost initiates the hunt, it checks to see if it is in range of a crucifix. If it is, the hunt does not begin, reverting the ghost into a passive state.
If the ghost is out of range of the Crucifix (even if the Crucifix is located in the Ghost Room), it may initiate a hunt as per normal. No sound or animation will occur when the crucifix blocks a hunt. It will simply disappear once both charges have been used.
The Crucifix must be within the range of the ghost’s hunting spawn location to work. Because of this, the Crucifix isn’t always reliable, because ghosts may spawn a random, short distance away from their “centre point” (ghost room.) For example, if a ghost spawns for a hunt just out-of-range of a Crucifix, the hunt will proceed as normal.
- It is reported that the Crucifix can stop an in-progress Hunt if the ghost is hit with the Crucifix while it is in the air. This may use up one of the crucifix’s charges and does not count towards the “prevent a hunt with a Crucifix” optional Objective. However, it may be players simply confusing a manifestation event for a Hunt, and as such should not be used as a countermeasure was running and hiding would be more effective methods for surviving a Hunt.
203. Glow Stick
A Glowstick can be used to help navigate in larger locations or used as an area UV Light.
The Glowstick, when activated, emits a UV light when thrown. The height of the light is half of a doorway, enabling it to detect fingerprints. Its length is equivalent to the height. It can clip through doorways, and the light will go through some objects, such as the couches.
It is possible to detect footprints when placed near Salt, Fingerprints when near a doorway, and can mark locations of interest.
At random times in random locations, the glowstick when thrown on the ground will stop emitting light whatsoever, it is not known what causes it, nor how to fix it. It will display the light until it is flat on the ground, so propping it next to a wall is a good workaround.
204. Head Mounted Camera
A Head-Mounted Camera can be used to help teams track each other and to see Ghost Orbs.
The Head-Mounted Camera can be used to help teams track each other and to see Ghost Orbs.
When worn, Head Mounted Cameras (often called “GoPros” by players), do not take up a hand slot and act as a regular video camera. They move with the player and look in the direction the player is facing at the time. Although they are useless when playing alone, they can be handy with a team if one person stays back in the truck.
Like with regular video cameras, HMCs can switch between visual and night-vision modes and can be used to detect Ghost Orbs when in night-vision mode. They are also handy for monitoring players who have to be alone to get ghost responses and are very useful for helping to guide players around larger maps, especially in the dark, since the player in the truck can still see with night-vision mode even if all the lights in the location are out, as well as having access to the Site Map.
Players can take them off by going back to the truck and pressing F (or what you have to Interact bound to) on the cork-board hangers when they have an empty hand.
205. Infrared Light Sensor
An infrared motion sensor that detects both human and paranormal movement, when set off it will illuminate the surrounding area with a bright light.
An Infrared Light Sensor that detects both human and paranormal movement. When set off, it will illuminate the surrounding area with a bright light.
Although cheaper than the regular Motion Sensor, the Infrared Light Sensor does not provide feedback to the truck, nor does it count for the “Detect ghost with a motion sensor” Optional Objective.
In smaller locations, four of these can be placed on each of the walls of the Ghost Room to keep the room fairly well-lit when the Ghost is in the room, allowing for the room to have illumination when the lights are out. These can also be used as “waypoints” in larger maps, placing them at turns or intersections to light up when a player comes near, and for navigation in the dark should the breaker be tripped.
A simple Lighter used for lighting Candles and Smudge Sticks.
The Lighter is an item used to light Smudge Sticks and Candles. It emits a small amount of light when activated and held by the player.
To use the Lighter, you must have the Lighter in your inventory. By using the interact button while holding either a Smudge Sticks or a Candle, it will light the object. Alternatively, you can hold the lighter and activate it with right-click, then use it to light dropped items, or even items in another player’s hand by interacting with them.
207. Motion Sensor
A motion sensor is a sensor that can detect the most subtle changes in the atmosphere around it. This is linked live to the map in your Truck.
The Motion Sensor is a purchasable support item. It is the most expensive piece of equipment in the game, costing $100, but it can be convenient when tracking the movement of the Ghost, providing a visual and audio cue when the ghost moves through it. The Motion Sensor also displays on the Site Map, allowing for the Ghost’s movement to be detected from the safety of the Van.
They will be triggered by both the Ghost and players, so it is important to check the map if a member of the team recently passed through one. The green light will also light up instead of the red when a motion sensor is triggered.
- The motion sensor must be below eye-height to work. Placing it around waist-height is the safest way to go.
- Dead players do not trigger motion sensors when passing through them.
- Putting a motion sensor on every exit from a hall next to where the ghost has been detected can speed up tracking its movement around the house.
208. Parabolic Microphone
A Parabolic Microphone can detect sound through walls and at a great distance. This is a portable version of the sound sensor.
A Parabolic Microphone can detect sound through walls and at a great distance. It serves as a portable version of the sound sensor.
The Parabolic Microphone is not dependant on look angles. The values on the display are updated every 1-2 seconds.
Therefore it does not matter in which direction it is held, except if you are standing on the border of a sound trigger.
Although infamously finicky, it is convenient to have around in the larger locations such as the High School and Asylum, although largely useless in smaller ones. When turned on, the display will show a set of numbers (00.0), which measures the sum of sound detected in a large area around its position.
If the ghost interacts with something, such as moving a door, throwing an object, or causing footsteps, the microphone will detect the sound for a short period of time, usually giving a reading between 10.0 and 15.0 on display. The microphone has a long-range and can detect sound through walls, making it useful for narrowing down the ghost’s location in the larger maps.
As with the Sound Sensor, the Parabolic Microphone will also detect player noises and interactions, so make sure that you are in front of other players during a sweep and that you are not accidentally detecting your teammates.
- Spirit Box
- Fuse Box
- Ghost throws
- Camera shutters
- Using a lighter
- Motion sensors
- Ouija boards
- Sanity pills
- Paintings falling
- Players talking (local and global)
209. Salt Shaker
Salt is toxic to most kinds of Ghosts and will reveal their footsteps under a UV Light.
Salt is a purchasable item used to detect the Ghost’s footprints. It is used to place salt piles on the floor which the ghost can walk in, disturbing it and creating footprints that can be seen with the UV Flashlight, which can then be photographed with a Photo Camera for extra money. Each Salt Shaker can create three piles of salt, after which it can be discarded.
To place salt in VR, point your VR controller toward the ground and press the trigger.
The Wraith has a special interaction with stepping in salt.
All ghosts can interact with salt; however, the Wraith will not leave footprints after having stepped in it.
A ghost can only step in salt every 10 seconds, and will not step in salt during the Hunt.
- Place salt at choke points in the house the ghost will have to walk through.
- Dropping a glowstick on or near the salt pile will illuminate the salt pile without having to use a UV flashlight.
210. Sanity Pills
Sanity Pills will increase your sanity level; therefore, they are vital for larger locations as these will allow you to be safer on a contract for longer periods.
Sanity Pills replenish your Sanity level. Each bottle replenishes 40% Sanity, up to a maximum of 100%.
They are vital for larger locations such as Brownstone High School and the Asylum, as well as being much more important on more serious difficulties in general due to increased sanity drain, allowing you and your team to be safer on a contract for longer periods and stave off Hunts.
211. Smudge Sticks
Burning smudge sticks near a ghost will prevent it from attacking for a period of time.
Smudge Sticks are a purchasable item that when burned, will deter the Ghost from hunting or attacking for a period of time.
The Yurei and Spirit have special interactions with smudge sticks.
To use Smudge Sticks, you must interact with it using either a Lighter or a lit Candle. (Alternatively, if you have a lighter in your inventory, you can switch to the smudge sticks and press the “F” key to light them automatically.)
Once lit, the Smudge Sticks will begin to smoke for roughly 15 seconds, and if the Ghost is within 6 meters, Ghost Activity will be increased marginally, and the Ghost won’t be able to enter a hunt for 90 seconds (180 for Spirit). This won’t stop an active hunt. The Smudge Stick will function both whiles in hand, or on floor.
If there is an active hunt, then the ghost will stop chasing a player and begin to wander for 6 seconds, before returning to hunting.
If the ghost is a Yurei, it will stop chasing and wander for 90 seconds.
You will know if the smudge sticks have worked due to the smoke dissipating, at this point you can throw the item down since it has been used up. If the smoke is still ongoing, it has yet to take effect.
- Smudge sticks or smudge bundles are objects used in Native-American rites to ward off evil spirits and cleanse a place spiritually. Smudge sticks are usually made of bundled sage or incense sticks.
212. Sound Sensor
Listens to even the quietest sounds and vibrations in the air. Displayed as data in the van.
The Sound Sensor is a sensor that can listen to the quietest sounds and vibrations in the air. This gets displayed as data at your van.
The Sound Sensor will detect any noise in a boxlike area in front of the sensor itself. The detection area is highlighted as a yellow box on the map back in the truck. Any noise, both player-made and ghost-made, will appear as a bar on the sound monitor to the right if the map in the van, showing how loud the sound was and identifying where the sound came from.
Like the Parabolic Microphone, the Sound Sensor will detect sounds through walls, so placing it on a wall facing a large area or several rooms is a good way to cover a lot of ground when looking for the ghost’s location early on. On smaller maps, two Sound Sensors can be placed on either side of a wall in the centre of a location, allowing them to monitor an entire floor when placed well.
213. Strong Flashlight
An upgraded version of the flashlight. Designed to help you in large areas when the lights go out.
It is quite self-descriptive: it creates a much brighter light than the flashlight, making navigation in the dark that much easier.
For more information, please check 107. Flashlight.
Reads the temperature of the room, which can help when locating ghosts.
The Thermometer is a purchasable item used to read the current room’s temperature or the temperature of specific locations within the room.
The thermometer is used to detect the ghost Evidence type Freezing Temperatures, as well as being quite useful for finding the Ghost Room in general.
The Thermometer will update its temperature every 0.8 seconds. By default, it reads in Celsius.
The temperature is read by casting a ray 6 meters from where the user is currently looking, yielding the room’s temperature with an error bar of 2 degrees (this error bar does not change for Fahrenheit).
Generally, reading temperatures at or below 10°C/50°F is a strong indication that you are reading the Ghost Room. Due to its frequent updating, it is quite reliable for finding the Ghost Room using it.
If the temperature drops below 3°C/37.4°F, the Ghost can certainly cause Freezing Temperatures.
Can be used to mount Video Cameras on.
The Tripod can be used to mount Video Cameras on. Tripods will be deployed facing the same direction as the player deploying them.
Tripods are bulky items, and thus take up your hand slot while carrying it. They cannot be stored in your inventory, and switching to another item or hand while carrying a tripod will automatically drop the tripod.
Picking up a video camera and placing it (or pressing F) on top of the tripod will mount the camera on the tripod. Carrying the tripod afterwards will also bring the camera along as well, so you do not need to carry both an empty tripod and an unmounted video camera. You can pick the video camera up off the tripod-like normal if you want to use the video camera by itself again.
When placing, the tripod will be placed directly below where you are standing and will be facing the direction you were when you dropped it. Tripods are set at the perfect height for monitoring items (like books and EMF readers) on the ground and are excellent for rooms with few places for regular video cameras to go. VR players can also place tripod-mounted video cameras on windowsills, allowing a camera to remotely watch a room without requiring the player to enter the room itself to set the camera up.
301. Objective Board
The objective board can be found in starting van players spawn in, opposite of Camera System and adjacent to Information Displays.
Except for the tutorial mission, it will always display 4 objectives and a paragraph with information about the ghost, such as its name and whether the ghost responds to everyone or people that are alone.
- 🎯 Main Objective
The first objective will be the same in every game:
Discover what type of Ghost we are dealing with.
- This objective refers to the identification of the type of Ghost inhabiting the building.
The reward for this objective scales based on map size.
Note: When the game start, you can read a short briefing on the ghost that may give you a clue about the behaviour of the ghosts, which can help you with identification.
- 📌 Optional Objectives
The other 3 objectives are generated randomly but seem to be influenced based on equipment added before the game starts: The game creates objectives based on the equipment players took into the game. If it can’t create any or it used all available up, it will create the rest randomly.
The reward for this objective is $10 for a person that managed to escape and $5 for a person killed by the ghost.
- 💠 Find evidence of paranormal activity with an EMF Reader
Condition for completion:
- EMF Reader level 2 and higher
- Either look for the ghost room with an EMF reader or if you know where the ghost already is, leave the EMF reader on in the room.
- A player doesn’t have to be present for the objectives to be completed.
- 💠 Detect a room below 10° Celsius/50° Fahrenheit with a Thermometer
Condition for completion:
- Thermometer shows temperature below 10° Celsius/50° Fahrenheit (does not account for 2° error bar)
- As every ghost makes the ghost room cold below 10°, scan every room with a thermometer and pay attention to temperatures around 12° as it may lead you to the cold room.
- 💠 Capture a photo of dirty water in a sink
Condition for completion:
- Take a photo of dirty water with a camera. Refer to Dirty water
- Do not turn on sinks yourselves. If a ghost interacts with it, it will give you a sound cue as to where the dirty water may be.
- 💠 Capture a photo of the ghost
Condition for completion:
- Take a photo of a ghost either manifesting or hunting other players
- Try to anger the ghost and make him manifest or enter a hunting phase, but make sure to keep an escape route or a hiding spot. It’s easier to make the ghost hunt with lower sanity.
- Some ghosts flicker in and out of view and are difficult to take a picture of.
Taking a photo of the ghost on the video camera does not count.
- 💠 Detect a ghosts presence with a motion sensor
Condition for completion:
- The ghost must trigger a placed motion sensor
- Place motion sensors into doorways or hallways the ghost might roam through and onto walls of the ghost room.
- 💠 Prevent the ghost from hunting with a crucifix
Condition for completion:
- A crucifix must be placed in an area where the ghost may manifest. If the cross is within the range of the ghost trying to enter a hunting phase, it will be prevented, and the ghost will not start hunting.
- As trying to enter a hunt is a dangerous move, it’s recommended to keep a player in the van to inform you of the completion of the objective for a quick escape if it has been completed.
- For Banshee, the crucifix area is nearly doubled (5 meters).
- 💠 Have a member of your team witness a Ghost event
Condition for completion:
- A player must be present in a room where a Ghost event is taking place
- Ghost event has a higher chance of happening inside the ghost room.
- 💠 Cleanse the area near the ghost using Smudge Sticks
Condition for completion:
- Light a Smudge Stick inside the ghosts room with a lighter or a candle
- Cleansing the area is one of the last things you should do since smudging prevents the ghost from manifesting or hunting
302. Site Map
The Site Map is located within the starting van. It shows the layout of the map, players, exit doors, cameras, stairs, and the location of the fuse box. If a Motion Sensor is used, it appears as a stripe where its line of sight is. Sound Sensors will cover a large portion of the map with a yellow detection radius. A large white square-shaped switch can be found on the left side of the map, which can be used to change to different levels of the map if a location has multiple stories.
303. Sanity Monitor
The Sanity Monitor is the screen in the van labelled “Team Sanity”, where you can see all players’ sanity as a percentile reading. The sanity monitor is not perfectly-accurate, as it will oscillate by +/-3% for sanity to be perceived as more organic.
Dead players, and players who are yet to load into the lobby, show up on the Sanity Monitor with a ? symbol rather than a number.
- The sanity monitor can be useful for identifying Ghosts that interact with player sanity, such as the Demon; for example, if players are getting frequent responses from the Ouija Board, but sanity levels are still fairly-solid, it is easy to identify the Demon even without evidence.
The Site Activity Monitor is the fourth monitor on the wall of the van, which shows the activity ranging from 0 to 10, 0 indicating the ghost is disturbing nothing. In contrast, 10 indicates a possible hunt, the door of the ghost room closing, lights shutting off in the room, and the ghost manifesting in the room, and the exit door of the house closing, but not locking.
- The Site Activity Monitor is not related in any way to the EMF Reader and the levels it produces, but can denote the likelihood of encountering an EMF Level 5, if applicable.
- The various levels of activity seem to be determined by many factors, so consultation of this screen is really only helpful for simply determining the overall aggression of the ghost.
- Higher levels generally denote increased likelihood of more violent integrations. Level 10 does not always mean a Hunt is taking place, but every time a hunt takes place, the level is always 10 until the hunt ends.
- The average Sanity of players currently in the building also appears to have a slight impact on the global activity of the ghost. Players outside do not affect this.
401. Ouija Board
You can ask the ghost questions to get more information at the cost of your sanity.
The Ouija Board is an item that can only be found during an investigation can be used to communicate with the ghost. On each map, there is a 33% spawn chance, and it can be found in places like basements, attics, beds, closets. Using it allows the players to ask the questions at the cost of sanity.
To use the Ouija board, activate it by left-clicking on it, and you will see it start to glow. If the push to talk is on, press the V key to ask it via local chat.
When active and asked a phrase it recognizes, there is a 67% chance for the Ouija Board to respond and a 33% chance to anger the ghost. The ghost will respond by moving the planchette on the board and spelling out its answer. The response chance is not affected by whether or not the ghost is shy.
- 📉 Sanity Decay
If the ghost responds to a question, it creates an interaction EMF around the Ouija Board, and the player who asked the question will experience 5-10% sanity decay unless the ghost is a demon.
- ☠️ Ghost Angered
When the Ouija Board fails, the board will deactivate, the lights will flicker, the asker’s sanity will drop by 40%, even if the ghost is a demon. If the players are still in the Setup Phase, it will end prematurely, making you vulnerable to a hunt.
There are five different types of questions that can be asked:
- ☢️ Victim questions
- 📆 Age questions
- ☠️ Death questions
- 🏠 Room questions
- 📌 Location questions
The victim name is a randomly picked first name of either gender that is predetermined at level start.
- Who did you kill?
- Who is your victim?
- What is the name of the person you killed?
- What is the name of the person you murdered?
- What is your victim?
- Did you murder?
- Who did you murder?
- Who died?
The age of the ghost is randomly generated number between 10 and 90 years that is predetermined at level start.
- How old are you?
- What is your age?
- Are you old?
- Are you young?
The length of death of a ghost is a randomly generated number between 50 and 1000 days that is predetermined at level start.
- How long have you been dead?
- How many years ago did you die?
- How long have you been here?
- How long ago did you die?
- When did you die?
The response will be determined by the number of people in the room. If the ghost is in the same room as the Ouija Board, the count is added by one.
- How many are in this room?
- How many people are in this room?
- How many people are here?
- How many ghosts are in this room?
- How many ghosts are there?
- Are you alone?
- Are we alone?
- Who is here?
- Who is in this room?
The location given will be the currently occupied room of the ghost. The room is likely to be the Ghost Room, but if the ghost is roaming, it could simply be its current location at the time.
- Where are you?
- What is your favourite room?
- Where is your room?
- What is your room?
- Are you here?
- Are you close?
- Are there any spirits?
- Are you near?
- Are you around?
402. Voodoo Doll
A small doll with red orbs for eyes and stitched lips.
The Voodoo Doll is similar to Bone Evidence, taking a picture of it with the photo camera will grant a photo reward at the end of the mission. While it can be picked up, it will take up a slot in your inventory and players don’t receive additional payment for picking it up.
403. Bone Evidence
The Bone can be found laying in various locations around the map. Taking a picture of the bone will provide a reward at the end of the mission. You can also pick up the bone for an extra cash reward.
- Phasmophobia Investigations Method Guide
- Phasmophobia Crucifix Guide
- Phasmophobia All Ghost Types (Strengths and Weaknesses.)
- Phasmophobia Hunting Strategy Guide
- Phasmophobia Words and Phrases Ghosts Will Respond