For Layers of Fear (2023) players who are collecting achievements, this is a complete achievement guide for you to unlock all of those achievements.
The whole story
Earn all trophies
Complete Writer’s Story
It’s covered up for a reason
Get working on your Magnum Opus
Take a thousand steps
Do what you have to
Find something to hold her back
Sign of weakness
Destroy one of the objects with light
Finish the Magnum Opus
Break the loop.
To unlock this ending you will need to complete certain puzzles when you return to the house at the end of some of the chapters.
- Chapter 1 – In the wife’s bedroom upstairs repair the broken vanity mirror with the four shards of glass found around the room.
- Chapter 3 – In the daughter’s bedroom find the four bowls and place them on the plates on the dresser.
- Chapter 5 – In the bottom floor’s bathroom you’ll need to find 3 perfume bottles and place them on the tray near the door.
- Chapter 6 – You’ll need to find 4 paintings that are scattered around the house and place them in their corresponding places on the wall of the staircase.
After you’ve placed all of the paintings in their correct spots walk to the front door and leave the house.
Refuse to look
Avoid your enemy
For this achievement you’ll need to use your light to blind your wife when she’s coming towards you.
Face your fears
See your enemy and fail
Like the achievement above however you’ll need to let her reach you instead of blinding her.
Instinct of self-preservation
Heed the warning
During chapter 5 you’ll reach a section where your wife’s shadow is projected on the wall in front of you, do not turn around just keep walking forward.
It was worth a try
During chapter 5 you’ll reach a puzzle in the study where you’ll need to ring certain numbers, when interacting with one of the phones dial 911 instead.
Something important ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Collect an item ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
A piece of the story
Collect a piece of the story
Whispers long forgotten
Gather 42 whisper items
I have not included the whisper items with my collectibles as they can be found easily. There are much more than 42 and you shouldn’t have any issues locating all of them.
The artist’s impression ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Collect a rat sketch⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀
You might have a problem
Gather 12 drawings of the rodents
Scraps of love⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Find a memento of your family ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Immortalized in my heart
Gather 12 family mementos
Each time the game gives you the option to either choose between your family or your art, depending on what you choose you will either get a family memento or a rat sketch. I will be uploading a video with the collectibles as soon as possible, until then I would recommend following this text guide:
I remember It Like Was Yesterday
Recall 6 of your childhood memories
Once Upon a Time
Watch the entire Little Red Riding Hood story
During the daughter’s story enter the painting room and during the flashback choose the crayon, you will be transported to the fables where if you follow the glittery path you can watch the Little Red Riding Hood story. I’ve combined this achievement with the sword and serpent achievement below so watch the video I linked there if you need help with it.
Sword of the Serpent
Slay the evil serpent roaming the land of the fables.
For this achievement you need to kill the serpent with the sword during the second time you travel to the fables. To enter the fables, at the start of the daughter’s story head into the painting room and after a fade to white choose the crayon. Now in the fables area head down the path that’s behind the canvas and flip the little lever on the right hand side, continue down the path and pick up the crayon at the end. Head back and interact with the canvas, afterwards, pick up the paintbrush on the table to the right. Now you’ll be in a sequence where you’re in a maze like area, follow what your father says. After a few instructions you’ll need to pick up the dark paint. Once you’ve used it on the canvas, the room will change slightly, and just in view on the right is a note and a crayon. You MUST pick up the note to unlock the achievement. Use the crayon on the canvas and you’ll be transported to the fables again. This time, just behind the canvas there’s a sword in a stone, pull it out then find the serpent and walk into him and you’ll unlock this achievement. I’ve linked a video below showing you how to unlock this achievement as well as the Once Upon a Time achievement.
Stuck to one parent’s side through the entirety of the quarrel vision.
The Big Picture
Assemble all the puzzle pieces
The Tree and the Apple
Discover your true inheritance.
The three achievements above are all completed during the same run. To unlock them you’ll need to complete the true ending. To do so you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Enter the kitchen first, during the flashback open the door and let the dog out. Once the flashback is over, open the pantry door and pick up drawing #1
- Now enter the storage room under the stairs. During the flashback lock the door. Once the flashback is over look down and pick up drawing #2
- Head down into the basement and walk all the way to the back, during the flashback walk forward and take the music sheet on the pile on the right, afterwards quickly back up. Once the flashback is over pick up drawing #3 in front of you.
- Now go into the painting room, you can either choose the crayons or classic paints (if you wanted to do the serpent/red riding hood achievements), however you’ll need to finish that section by choosing the classic paints. In the maze area just follow your father’s instructions. After you respawn back in the house, turn to your left and pick up drawing #4 on top of the drawers.
- Head upstairs and walk straight towards the couch, during the flashback click on the dog to get it off the couch.
- Go into the study, this flashback is a lot longer. Every time the game gives you the chance make sure you choose to turn right and follow your father’s path.
– In the section with the piano, once your mother says “I have an idea” go open the small cupboard and take the crayons out, go back to the piano and play the correct melody.
– After the drawing of the mother falls apart head forward through the next section you’ll need to find the three pieces of the drawing on each descending floor. (The first one is in the cupboard, the second one is in the corner behind a painting, and the third one falls from the ceiling once you push over the bookcase to cover the fire.) After finding them all head upstairs once you reach the fenced balcony turn around and interact with the repaired drawing.
– In the next area where you must walk across beams and climb up furniture, there will be three cakes make sure you interact with all three. (The cakes aren’t in my video, since it wasn’t my first playthrough)
– Once you respawn back in the study you will be able to pick up drawing #5
- Leave the study and head towards the mother’s room, drawing #6 is on a small table just to the left of her room.
- Enter the mother’s room, during the flashback interact with the phonograph. After the flashback you can find drawing #7 in the wardrobe.
- Now go into the painting room, it’s the room to the left of the study, just before the daughter’s room. Drawing #8 is on the right on top of a barrel.
- Go into the daughter’s room and walk towards the painting and start the final flashback, make sure you keep looking at your father. When the camera flicks to the left or right make sure you recenter it quickly. You’ve done it correctly if he apologises to you at the end. After the flashback look down and you’ll find drawing #9.
- Now you’ve watched all of the flashbacks and found all of the drawings head back into the painting room and place the drawings on the wall. You’ll need to arrange them to form a face, then turn around and interact with the cupboard to unlock the ending.
I’ve included a video below showing all of the steps to unlock this ending.
Get your inheritance
This achievement is currently bugged and the devs have stated it will be fixed with the next update!
Make the first step towards freedom
Break the first chain
Live through the first conversation
Live through the second conversation
A new way
Live through the third conversation
The tragedy unfolds
See the end of Musician’s story
Collect 32 notes
While you can find notes in other chapters, the large majority of them are found during the musician’s story, I haven’t included a video as there are a lot more than you need and you’ll most likely unlock this achievement just while playing through the game.
Something to think about
Collect 11 items
Like the achievement above, there are more than 11 items to find, you will most likely unlock this achievement if you’re just checking drawers and rooms during the musician’s story.
Lights, Camera, Action!
Begin shooting your movie
Find something to hold it back
The art of movement
Make the mannequin play
Go through the Hypnotic Maze
Make the final decision
The Perfect Storm
Send out an SOS
During chapter 1 (and again in chapter 5) you’ll enter a room (pictured below) where you’ll need to interact with a headset to progress. On the left is a telegraph that you can use to send out an SOS, you’ll need to do 3 short signals, 3 long signals then 3 short signals again.
In One Take
Get through the set without getting caught in the lights
During chapter 1, after you receive the torch progress a bit further and you’ll need to pull a light switch, make it through the next area without being caught in the lights for this achievement
Spot something through spyglass
The earliest you can unlock this achievement is right at the start of chapter 2, while still in your cabin head up the ladder and look through the spyglass on the right side of the room. While looking through the spyglass, towards the bottom right of the water use mouse 1 to zoom in on the small boat.
Journey through space without hitting a single obstacle
During chapter 3, you’ll have to assemble a rocket then afterwards, there will be a little minigame-esque scene where you fly it. Don’t get hit by anything and the achievement is yours. If you reach the end and haven’t unlocked the achievement just exit to the menu then continue your game and you can retry.
Save all the lost souls
During chapter 4 you will need to interact with 5 different mannequins found in separate rooms, each room representing a deadly sin (as seen in the movie Se7en). The first one you need to do to progress, the rest are missable. You can leave this area by looking at the child’s drawing and climbing the ladder. Make sure you’ve acquired the achievement before you leave. (You do not need to do these in any order just make sure you do them all)
Find your first movie poster ⠀⠀⠀⠀
Body of Work
Bring 11 movie posters to your cabin
A Slice of Life ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Find your first photo slide ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
A Mosaic of Misery
View 8 photo slides in your cabin
Sound Bite ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Use the phonograph ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Listen 4 phonograph interviews
We Are Not Alone ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Bring 3 mysterious items to your cabin⠀⠀⠀⠀
You Can’t Handle the Truth
Decrypt a mysterious item
The collectibles for this story are almost identical to the ones from the original Layers of Fear 2, I will upload a collectible guide for this game specifically asap, however I will just link my Layers of Fear 2 collectible video until then.
To decrypt a mysterious item, you will first need to find the mysterious item from chapter 2, The Hunt. Halfway through chapter 2 you’ll need to crouch and crawl through a ventilation shaft. While in the shaft, you’ll be able to go either left or right, head left and pick up the note on top of one of the beds. You’ll also need to find the conch, while looking through the spyglass in your cabin stare at the horizon for around 40 seconds. Now you can plug the conch into one of the mysterious item sockets and you’ll unlock the achievement.